Monday, September 15, 2008

It's Finished!

I finally finished a 16x20 in. picture for my mother. It was a challenge to keep it simple and as traditional looking as possible. My art tends to be ooohhhh...mmmm... "unique", my mother is much more traditional in her tastes. She likes flowers, softness, a real feminine look to her home.

So, I merged my technique of working in layers of recycled materials & collage with a shabby chic, vintage style.

The pictures foundation is collaged magazine text, painted over in layers of golds & greens. A opened lunch bag is laid on top with a splash of white paint hastily applied over it. I drastically enlarged & color-copied an image of vintage, hand-painted flowers with the words "Award of Merit" below it. Then I used an art medium to "lift" the colored ink off the paper and then applied that image on top of the white paint. The frame was natural wood that I painted white and then sanded down in places.

Voila! Tis done and not too weird for my momma. (I hope.)

No comments: