Friday, September 12, 2008

DIY ReadyMade at the DMA


The folks from DIY ReadyMade http://readymade.com/magazine/will be visiting the Dallas Museum of Art next Thursday & Friday. On Thursday evening they will have a workshop where attendees will use recyclable objects to create pieces inspired by architect Frank Gehry and the Materials & Meanings Exhibit.

Holy Cardboard Chairs Batman!?!

Isn't that exactly what I like to do? Use non-traditional materials in new & original ways to create art? Why yes it is - I am the QUEEN of using the pages from old telephone books to make different stuff. (I am planning on constructing a lampshade with phone book pages next by the way.)

But I digress. Space is limited for this workshop, so I called right away and got my name on the list of attendees. For $50.00 I will get the supplies & the opportunity to create something next Thursday night. I'm very curious & excited to find out what that will be. Then, on Friday (DMA Late Night), the DIY folks will have a conversation at 9 pm about all things hip, crafty, & handmade. My storytelling program is at 7:30-8:00, so I'll be done by that time and plan to attend that as well.
This month's Friday Night Live is extra special. Lots of super fab events on the schedule. Check it out: http://dallasmuseumofart.org/Dallas_Museum_of_Art/Experience/ID_011668 Not only will DIY be there, but so will Pulitzer Prize winning artist Karen Blessen. She is the illustrator of "Peace One Day", a book for children about the struggle to create the International Day of Peace which is September 21.
Totally awesome night folks! If you live in the Dallas area this is a really fun night out for the whole family.

No comments: