Monday, July 21, 2008

Intense Bursts of Creativity & An Obsessive Pursuit To Bring Ideas To Reality Artfully!

Periodically, I go through intense creative phases where I literally get overloaded with too many ideas. I am in such a phase right now. My dreams become very vivid during these times and sleep becomes intermittent. The dreams are long, detailed - like epic novels. Day & night, I get flashes of insight on how to reinterpret a folktale, write an original story, create a new visual art work & more.

Last night, I suddenly bolted awake when I had an image of how to recreate a finished piece that has dismayed me for some time. (I am going to cut the canvas up, colorwash the pieces & more, sew it all back together and make it into a wall hanging on a crazy branch I found by the river some two years ago. Hah!)

Everytime I go to the DMA I am inspired! BUT, this last visit really fired me up big time. All kinds of ideas for stories came to me, as well as, the idea for a new art piece that I will create for the next storytime. I want to illustrate how looking at someone elses art can trigger ideas for art we create ourselves. My piece will have obvious associations to the piece that inspired me, but will also very much be my own vision.

I am a left-handed, intensely right-brained individual. During super creative phases, I have to work much harder at doing left-brained tasks. Bummer... Our society values and rewards left-brained skills. Thankfully, God blessed me with a hubby who is left-brained and is always helpful when I am trying to operate any kind of technology. It's embarassing, but the truth is I can barely remember how to operate my cell phone or the tv remote control when I am on a creative bender.

Not complaining just explaining how it can get with me in case you should find yourself around me during one of these times and wonder about my I.Q., sanity or something.

1 comment:

Tina Leavy said...

LOL but gal..when you get an idea it is pure genius though..I have been amazed at the artwork and stories you have come up with..at least the little bit of them that I saw when you lived here in P.C. ..and I know now that you are surrounded by so much more art and creativity and culture there in Dallas..that the sky is the limit.
And nope..you aren't strange or anything..just highly creative..there should be more folks like you around.:0)