Monday, July 21, 2008

Catfish Moon


Take a peek at this painting by David Bates titled "Catfish Moon". This painting is part of the DMA's Texas Contemporary exhibit on the 4th floor in the tower. After living in Florida for 13 years and seeing many a bayou under a full moon, I can really appreciate this painting. It is very large & consists of thickly applied paint in various shades of moss green and an eerie whitish/yellow. It captures for me the other worldliness of swamp land at night with the patient cypress trees standing guard over the creatures of the night.
WWWoooowwoooWWWOOOwoooo.....
This painting will be featured in my next Tuesday morning gallery walk. What you can't see easily in this photo, but it is there if you look for it, is the shadow of an owl on one of the branches. I have the perfect old Florida folktale for this painting. Delightful, mysterious, but not scary - perfect for the kids.

1 comment:

Tina Leavy said...

really like the painting..I like that silhouette look and the golden glow..very nice.
lucky you to be surrounded by some awesome art any time you want to be.
I can't wait to vbe able to visit the museums in Ocala and Gainesville.
And to be able to be closer to Sarasota area..I have always wanted to visit places like the Ringling Museum of Art and see those really nice Circus carriages and things like that..maybe now that I'll be moving closer to those areas I'll get the chance to.
hugs, Tina