Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sigur Rós

Recently I discovered the Icelandic band, Sigur Ros. Here is what the insignificant & rarely used encyclopedia site known as Wikipedia had to say about them:

Sigur Rós (Icelandic pronunciation: [ˈsɪːɣʏr ˈroːus]) is an Icelandic post-rock band with melodic, classical, and minimalist elements. The band is known for its ethereal sound, and frontman Jónsi Birgisson's falsetto vocals and use of bowed guitar. In January 2010, the band announced that they will be on hiatus until further notice in order to pursue solo careers and to spend time with their families.[1]

Oooo-kaaay..., but what does their music sound like you ask?

You can listen for yourself. The music video below this post is a nice sample of their work. The music is LOVELY, plus the video was filmed out in the harshly beautiful, otherworldly, Icelandic landscape. The Icelandic children in the video look like a lot like my relatives of Norwegian & Swedish descent in living in Minnesota. I feel my inner child who loved wearing costumes, and who pretended she could fly when the wind blew strong  identify with them. Someone added biblical scripture that adds an intriguing touch to the video. The storyteller/artist part of me always likes to see text from all kinds of sources used creatively and artistically. Hopefully, all peoples of all backgrounds can appreciate the beauty and hope that live in the words, and how they are applied to the children in the film.

Hhhmmmnm....idea! I wonder if I could do something similar. I could make a series of still photos, or a short video that incorporates text from a classic folktale, thereby giving new dimension, depth, perhaps meaning, to a commonly known story. 

I will dream on it and see what comes...

No comments: