Saturday, January 8, 2011

Artist Encounter with Brian Fridge

Every Thursday night, The Dallas Museum of Art offers Artist Encounter events in the Center for Creative Connections. I try to attend as many as I can. I always learn something valuable, plus I've developed some wonderful friendships with many of the "regulars". Last Thursday, we met creativity expert Magdalena Grohman and video artist Brian Fridge. With Magdalena (who has a delightful Spanish accent) we did creative thinking activities designed to get us ready for Brian Fridge's portion of the evening.

When Brian's time came, we went to the theater to view a few of his videos. None are online, so I can't link you over to see any, but I can supply a still image from the video that most inspired me.
The video is very much like watching a galaxy of stars & mist swirling through the universe. Shapes appear, then merge into new shapes.

As we watched the video we were instructed to start writing anything that came to mind. In just a few minutes I wrote the following poem. I have resisted the urge to change even one word.

I close my eyes to see
my dreams...
They move like stardust
across an ebony sky.
Ah look!
The swirling stardust becomes
a woman dancing languidly.
With her every movement
She is transformed,
renewed,
reborn,
eternally alive.
Is it her soul that I am seeing?
Is She me?
Am I her?
I close my eyes to see...
Myself.

1 comment:

ruthiebaby88 said...

Wow that's great! Wish I could have seen the video - must have been quite an experience.