Saturday, January 8, 2011

Merging Visual Art with Performance Art

How sweet it is to have the many opportunities, the creative freedom, to develop unique storytelling programs for the Dallas Museum of Art. The museum continually supplies me with a world of ideas for merging visual art with performance art. I thoroughly enjoy creating two and three dimensional artworks to accompany my tales. Not only that, some exhibited art has inspired me to put on a pair of tap shoes and dance my way through a tale, use lights to create cool shadows, learn African & Indonesian drumming rhythms,etc...all are so creatively satisfying and fun for me! I am super fortunate to have the kind assistance and support of their knowledgeable staff who are always ready to help me. Some of my programs have required lots of extra effort from the tech booth staff, and JC Bigornia who puts together my powerpoints of featured artwork. In the last several years, my storytelling style has become more improvisational and far more interactive as a result, which feels good and natural for me.

Recently I finished work on these two story visuals inspired by art at the museum.
 This is my Three Little Pigs collage. It took three months to complete. Embedded in it are old magazine & book images from the 20's, 30's and 40's, maps, and book pages. I made the wolf, trees and pigs by cutting them out of paper and doing color washes on top. There's even a chicken photo I took 6 years ago in it. The clouds are painted lace. I added dimension with oil pastels and attachable 3D houses. You may be wondering why the "brick house" is metal.  It was steel re-enforced to be earthquake proof. THAT is why it was so strong. In a fit of temper, the poor wolf broke all his teeth trying to bite through the house. He had to purchase false teeth. Do you see the ad for them?
 Believe it or not, this was the inspiration for the Three Little Pigs collage. It's called High-Speed Gardening. The artist is Micheal Bevilacqua, who began his career painting race cars.
Felty Trees. Lily and Jeff show how two volunteers hold up the ends for me. I hide behind it and put my glove-covered hands through two slits. The story is told using my voice and hands. 
This was my inspiration. It was created by Trenton Doyle Hancock.  He tells the story of the Mounds, half plant, half animal creatures, through a series of large felt panels. He is one of the artist's featured in the PBS Art: 21 shows.  
  
This photo was taken last Tuesday at the Dallas Museum of Art. I am set up and ready for my audience. We had a great time together, but since I was performing I couldn't take any photos. Maybe next time when Jeff goes with me.

No comments: