Sunday, March 2, 2008

Spinning Woman Experiment

Recently Jeff brought to my attention an experiment where the viewer (you) looks at a spinning woman to see if she is spinning clockwise or counter-clockwise. If you see her turning clockwise, you are using your right-brain hemisphere and if you see her turning counter-clockwise, you are using your left-brain hemisphere. The ability to see her switch and spin both ways is also an option; meaning you can switch from right to left & back again according to your will. This experiment illustrates two very different ways of thinking and learning. See below.

LEFT BRAIN
Logical

Sequential

Rational

Analytical

Objective

Looks at parts

RIGHT BRAIN

Random

Intuitive

Holistic

Synthesizing

Subjective

Looks at wholes

I tested as an extremely right-brained thinker. In fact, I can't switch on the left-brain no matter how hard I try. Jeff & Lily can switch back & forth as most of the people who responded to my email did. Lucky folks. Several creative people I know (artists & writers) showed more right brain thinking.

This test explains so much for me personally.

1. My inability to learn in the traditional school setting in my early years. (I eventually figured out how to learn my own way.)
2. My continuing challenges coping with scheduling and paperwork. I can do it, but it takes lots of focused will power.
3. The way creative ideas come to me. Usually, they come as a complete “whole”. This morning for example, as I was waking up, two new art sculptures "popped" into my head. I then deconstructed them and figured out how to go about building them. My best stories come together within minutes too. The details are not all there, BUT the main story transitions are and so is the ending. In fact, I often can't work out a story until I have some idea of how it will end. Note: The ending can change if it needs to, but I can't even begin without some final image or final goal in sight.
4. My bazaar spelling and mispronunciations. If you know me personally, you will understand.
5. My war with technology. Machines require thinking step-by-bloody plodding through mud step. It bores me. I lose interest quickly. I frequently have to review how to use machines like digital cameras and computer programs because my brain doesn't want to retain the information. Truly, truly frustrating!

Cool experiment for sure. Thanks to all my family & friends for sending me your results.

2 comments:

Tina Leavy said...

that sounds like a neat experiment.

ruthiebaby88 said...

I thought it was a hoax I was quite sure she was spinning counterclockwise only - hmmm interesting.