Monday, March 10, 2008

Good News/Bad News

I like getting good news before bad, so here is the good news:

I go to the Dallas Museum of Art this past Saturday for their Family Celebration Day. Despite spending many long hours last week developing & fine tuning my lesson plans & stories for their spring break MaskART! class I will be teaching, I had prepared well for this day. Pheew! Good thing too.

The crowd was huge for my 10:00am storytelling gallery walk through the J.M.W. Turner Exhibit. I had a wee, brief moment of utter heart-thumping terror when I saw all the children, parents & grandparents squeezing themselves into the first gallery, but it passed quickly. NO energy for that, no siree! I needed every electrifying ounce I had for the program.

The program went very well! Yippee!!! The transitions & moves to other rooms worked and we even had time to walk over to see a Rothko piece in another part of the museum.

My second storytelling program later in the day was a delightful experience too, despite a low turnout. A children's band ran 30 minutes late. That meant they played right through my scheduled program time in another area. Oh well...the kids that skipped the band were with me and WOW! what a fun bunch they were.

Now, the bad news. It arrived about 15 minutes before the gallery walk. That's 9:45am to be exact.

The springbreak classes, including mine(MaskArt!)had been cancelled. What!?! Low sign-up of attendees was the reason given. These classes were set to start in less than 24 hours. I put in many, many hours of story & mask research, wrote highly detailed lesson plans, created a PLAY for the kids to perform as a grand finale, and had even packed up my props & tools. Plus, I was soooooo looking forward to the paycheck. Now nothing. Nil. Nada.

Yesterday, I unpacked all my things, put them away and reorganized my files. I now have a mask making workshop that I can do someday, somewhere stored safely away.

>sigh<

Life goes on. Now I have time to work on other projects. Plus, I've been feeling a strong tug to finish some of my visual art projects. This week offers a fine opportunity for completing my broken glass & wire hanging sun piece.

Ah yes, the sun! I need a little sunshine just about now.

1 comment:

Tina Leavy said...

aww Ann that really stinks..and after all that hard work too..bummer..but..so glad that you have a good attitude about it..create art! I hope you'll share a picture of the sun catchers.Glad the walk through presentation/story time went well though.
Hope you have a good week though.
I posted directions on my blog for creating faux cupcakes..it's something different and fun...might aggravate Jeff though if you make a plate of them and he finds out they aren't real..ha.
Talk to you again soon.
Tina