Thursday, February 5, 2009

American Artist - Andrew Wyeth

Lately I have been fascinated with the work of American artist, Andrew Wyeth. So much so, that I am currently reading two books about him. The picture above is titled, "Master Bedroom". I loved it when I first saw it over 10 years ago. Even purchased a copy of it and hug it over Jeff's and my bed. Why? Because our dog Hildie took her naps on our bed just like the dog in the painting. I also had an identical bedspread. It captured Hildie's yearning need to not be separated from us.
This painting reminds me of warm summer days at my Grandma Lillian's farmhouse in northern Minnesota. I would sleep in the "yellow" bedroom with the window open to let in the cool night air, and in the morning the cool breeze would flutter gently into the room lifting up the worn lace curtains. Oh, how I loved waking up that way. There was something sad about it though...perhaps it was the tired lace curtains, so long past their prime. They represented the past, not the present and that time moves relentlessly forward no matter how much we want to wish that some things (or people) never change.

There is something spooky, no make that eerie, about this painting. Notice the reflection of the candles in the window panes. The painting has a supernatural, dreamy quality that stirs my memories of nightmares not entirely forgotten. It captures for me the queasy, disquieting way that a bad dream can linger and dog one's memory during times of wakefulness. Something powerful, just out of eyesight has moved through that room...what could it have been? It was nothing good I can safely say.

1 comment:

Tina Leavy said...

he was a terrific artist.