Friday, January 2, 2009

It was just sitting there, waiting...

Jeff, Lily and I went into a local Borders Book Store the weekend after Christmas. We were actually out together on a trip to the grocery store, but Borders is next door to it and since we are a bunch of maniacal bibliophiles the temptation was too much. I mean gosh, there were giant red Book Sale signs pasted all over the windows for heavens sake - what else could we do?

We walk in and Lily goes dashing off to the graphic novels section, Jeff wanders over to look in the boxes of $3.99 books and I wander around aimlessly trying to figure out what to look at first. (Sometimes I can get overwhelmed when faced with a lot of choices okay.) Eventually, after not having found anything that caught my eye, I walk over to the racks with cookbooks. I'm just killing time, I really don't care too much for cookbooks. Suddenly my eye spots a book on the shelf that does not belong. It's called "The Book of Lost Things". Odd name that. Kind of like the sound of it and the book certainly looks lost here amongst the cookbooks. Intrigued, I reach out and take it off the shelf. I open the front cover to read about it. My, it sounds good, but let me read the first few paragraphs as well, I think to myself. I have been fooled before by fancy words on a book's dust cover. I read the first two pages of the first chapter...oh my goodness. THERE IS NO WAY I AM LEAVING WITHOUT BUYING THIS BOOK!

And oh look - it's on sale for $5.99! Oh happy, happy day.

I finished the book last night. To read more about it, see the post below.

No comments: