Friday, May 30, 2008

Moor is Moorvelous

Janine Antoni's book "Moor" arrived right before Memorial Day Weekend, it's Moorvelous!I love the way the text wraps around the rope that is braided with various belongings from Janine's family, friends & acquaintances, and

the text is comprised of the
stories about the donated materials,
and the people tell about these items in first person,
so it gives you the reader the feeling that you are moving around a room listening to bits of conversation here and there, and
this so beautifully magnifies the universiality we all have as human beings who
by the way
wear clothes, and
have stories
about
them, so
what do you have in your closet right now and what can you tell me about it...
I'm all ears...

2 comments:

ruthiebaby88 said...

What a neat idea....
Well today my closet is a duffle bag lying on the floor next to my blow up sleeping mat and this isn't too strange to me. The duffle bag was bought in a far away land to lug home gifts from a market but I can't remember which one.
Most of the clothes were purchased in Idaho = but the baggy comfy jeans remind me of my mother since she always likes hers that way - and the green sweater is a little more homey than what I would usually buy since I bought it with my friend Sarah - when I shop with someone the things I take home tend to reflect their taste as well as my own.
A button has gone missing from the jeans and the belt loop is secured with a pin that is traditionally used in Thailand to secure the ladies wrap around skirts. My bikini was bought in last minute haste on Venice beach for Jenny's wedding party. The comfortable black shoes were required for my Australian nurses uniform.
So I guess there are a few stories even in my floor closet.

Tina Leavy said...

hmm..in my closet? sheesh..uhh well I do have a small collection of vintage hats up in my closet and a few vintage purses in hat boxes...that I often wonder if they could talk what stories would they tell about the people that have worn them.
but as far as my personal clothes go..hmm now that's a bit boring.