Sunday, November 25, 2007

Lars and the Real Girl

What an oddly wonderful & brilliant movie. I Looooved it! What made it all the more special for me was the fact that the story takes place in a Wisconsin town very similar to the Northern Minnesota towns where my family comes from. The people reminded me of my fellow Minnesotans in so many, many ways. The actors are all outstanding and the story makes me have faith in the human race - we can be kind and loving gosh dang it all!!! *sigh* When the movie comes out on DVD I am definitely buying it.

My next must see movie is Juno. I have become a big Diablo Cody fan. I read her book "Candy Girl", a very unusual choice of reading material for me considering it's about Diablo's experiences working as a stripper in Minneapolis for a year. But, hers is a gifted & original voice and I look forward to reading whatever the heck she wants to write about. I love her blog too - it has the unbelievably trashy name of The Pussy Ranch. I cringe just typing it out. Diablo likes to shock, but she is incredibly human too and there's something very wise about her perspective on things. She is also my antithesis I suppose, so I can live vicariously through her outrageousness & wild child antics. I have NEVER been wild. I'm a good girl...wink, wink.
My father was so wild & bad that there was nothing left for me to rebel over, other than being a good, conservative, upstanding citizen. Hah! That'll show those busy bodies who predicted I'd amount to nothing on account of my daddy. Little children can hear just fine when you gossip, thank you very much.

Thanksgiving was quiet and cold in Texas for us. That's okay. Next year though, I want a big shindig.

I was supposed to work on some stories, but I've been lazy. I've thought about them though - does that count? I'm doing a humorous Minnesotan version of "Why the Bear Has a Stumpy Tail" for the Lantern Light Festival in Plano. Uffdah yeah, it'll be funny dat's for sure. You betcha! That's one thing I don't remember from my years in Minnesota, people saying "you betcha". Hhhhmmmm...the movie Fargo made it seem more common place than it really is maybe? I need to go back for a visit and take notes. Think the relatives will mind? Uffdah.

No comments: