Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Three Apples Fell From Heaven


In Mid December, I attended a workshop led by sculpture and UNT adjunct professor, Rene Muhl  at the Dallas Museum of Art. She taught us a mold making technique. We had only a brief amount of time to make something out of non-drying clay, create a mold, then finally a mini-sculpture using Plaster of Paris.  We were asked to think about symbols that had meaning for us. I thought of the Armenian folktale "Three Apples Fell From Heaven".
 
In brief:
Three apples fell from heaven;
one for the teller,
one for the listener,
and one for he who takes it to heart.
 
There has always been a great deal of symbolism in the tale for me. The apples represent the universal wisdom, (some might say, God's wisdom), that reside in our world's folktales. I have created other artworks inspired from it, so this time I decided to make a pendant. Quickly I made an apple, giving a Scandinavian, wood carving texture to the surface. The mold turned out pretty well, and the resulting cast was very pleasing to me. I took it home, painted it and made a pendant! I can reuse the mold using a variety of casting mediums, which I have every intention of doing!
 
Rene Muhl has been a source of great inspiration. She's the one who introduced the idea to me of wiring little puzzle pieces together to create art works. To learn more about her, and see some of her sculptures, visit http://www.txsculpture.com/member/muhl_rene.html  

No comments: