Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again

My New Year's resolution is to be a better blogger. My goal is to post at least once a week. Hopefully.
I spent most of December busy creating stuff in my art room. I worked mostly with old wool sweaters, what a mess it gets to be, but what fun! Here is a photo of my Painter Elves. They come with their own story I adapted from a Brothers Grimm tale. I made 14 of these little guys.
 Here is Larry David the dog, named by Amanda Blake who works at the DMA. It was my present to her little, cutie-patootie pooch named, George Costanza. I will leave you, the reader, to make the connection between those two names.
 At last, I finally, finally painted the old window in my kitchen. My inspiration was a restaurant in Santa Fe whose dining room is surrounded by painted window panes that are rendered in a primitive folk art style. I love when the sun shines through the painting - it is so colorful. I was very intimidated to do this, not being a very confident painter, but I am happy with the result.

 These are older works from this summer. The mystery creatures were made using left overs bits of stuff. I let my whimsy guide me. I want to create background stories for them.

Lastly here is The Reader after I had DMA patrons and storytellers from the North Forty guild write the titles of their favorite books on it. This is an ongoing piece, I will continue to ask people to write book titles on it until it is covered. The Reader is at present quietly reading "The little Mermaid" by Hans Christian Anderson in my guest room.

No comments: