Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Reader - What you read becomes a part of who you are.

This is my sculpture titled, 'The Reader - What you read becomes a part of who you are.' The reader is reading from my favorite childhood book, 'Stories from Hans Christian Anderson'. The book is opened to the page with the story, 'What The Moon Saw'. Every night the moon visits a lonely artist who lives in an attic room. The moon tells the artist to "Paint what I tell you, and you will have a fine picture book." Then moon the proceeds to tell the artist stories about what he had seen the night before as he traveled across the sky.

I made it for the Dallas Museum of Art's, BooksmART event June 9th. It was made with packing tape, my daughter who was the model, paper mache dictionery pages, gesso, and a light, blue wash. People of all ages were invited to write on it with a black sharpie the title of their favorite book - anywhere. I had enormous fun visiting with all the people and talking about their favorite books. Letting go of control over how, where, or what people wrote was not so bad. It was totally, creatively satisfying actually.

I took no photos during the event. Too busy. But others did, and I hope to get photos from them i the near future. Plus, I will post photos of the Reader once finished and sealed with a final coat of protective varnish.

No comments: