Monday, June 11, 2012

Jean Paul Gaultier's Outstanding and Inspirational Exhibit!


Jean Paul Gaultier's exhibit has moved to it's next location. It left behind a big fan, ME! I am eternally grateful I got to see Gaultier's brilliant work! I was creatively inspired by it, and loved being a part of many fun events at the Dallas Museum of Art during the exhibition.

These photos show many of the items I made for storytelling shows during the Gaultier exhibition. Above is my Snowflake Queen headdress & outfit.  The puzzle pieces were glued on. Unlike the mask below, which was intricately wired together. For that reason, the headdress hasn't held up well. I can glue it again, so all is not lost.  I had the perfect story for this outfit and loved wearing it. The dress is vintage early 60's purchased at an estate sale. It fit like it was made for me. LUCKY me!
Here I am standing in front of the Gaultier inspiration for the headdress. The lighting is bad because flash photography was not allowed in the exhibit.
 The Bird Woman! This outfit took a long time to make!
Each "Feather" in the skirt had to be cut, ruffled by hand to achieve a slight curl, then added separately to the skirt. I lucked out on the shoes - found them at the thrift shoe. They were perfect!

Lily models a hat & coat made from old, felted, wool sweaters. The shape of the hat was inspired by both a Gaultier hat, and an African "Married Woman's Hat". Both hats were round and flat. I added the polka dots and divided the colors for a folk tale I tell.
The coat has hidden pockets under many of the patches. It is used to tell three separate tales. Since it's creation, I've added quilted cowboy boots, and umbrella. All are made of felted wool sweaters. My young audience members have loved wearing the hat and coat during storytimes - I never have trouble getting a volunteer!

No comments: