Friday, September 11, 2009

Sculpture Mania!

My camp "Sculpture Mania!" at the Dallas Museum of Art in August was a BLAST to facilitate! I had wonderful kids, a perfect environment and accomplished my main goals. Here are a few of the kids in front of the plaster hands they had painted. What made these plaster hands unique is that they were created by pouring plaster into rubber gloves, sealing them and having them firm up. Kids were able to see how liquid plaster can take the form of a mold (rubber gloves) and become a solid shape. The kids were able to feel the plaster harden through the plastic gloves without all the mess too.

My favorite project was creating a three-dimensional work of art inspired by Jackson Pollock's two-dimensional painting titled, Cathedral. Here we are creating squiggly lines with art wire and "floating" them on thin fishing line woven within an open-sided box.


What made this project so much more meaningful and educational was having the real deal, Jackson's Cathedral right there with us in the gallery for inspiration!

The more lines that were added the better it got. The piece now sits in my dining room. I have some ideas on how to recreate a similar yet more stable, reuseable frame that can have light added as an option for added effect.

2 comments:

Tina Leavy said...

what fun for both you and the children!

Brother Wolf said...

Hey Ann Marie

1. - 1st I love your blog! and your camp what a great concept! You would enjoy the village that I live in Yellow Springs, Ohio. Everybody in it is art crazy! Check out the Ning I built for the local arts council Yellow Springs Artists Directory.

2. I looked you up because on your site you are showing a link to the old URL for my podcast. Can you update it please? The art of storytelling with children has become the Art of Storytelling with Brother Wolf. The new URL is http://www.artofstorytellingshow.com/ please update - thanks!

3. Your blog - on blogspot here comes with a link feature - I would suggest taking a minute to set it up - it's a real bonus and will help get you exposure if you use it too to identify people you want to support or ally with locally in your artistic community - don't forget my podcast!

4. I really do love your camp concept here - wow - I teach survival skills to children and I never thought of a camp at a museum I want more details like hours and how much it all cost. Did you make anything? Is it grant funded. My friend Jeff Gere does storytelling at a Museum. Who would think of camp in a museum?

Keep it up.

Eric Wolf